Malcom Reed | How To BBQ Right
Chef Malcom Reed used venison sausage from Gamekeeper Butchery to create this venison sausage sandwich with peppers, onions and marinara. This Italian style sub is easy to prepare and one for regular rotation.
Wild Game Sampler Packages Available Now
- 1lb Venison Classic Sausage
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Large Sweet Onion
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 12oz Rao’s Marinara Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Killer Hogs AP Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 4 Bolillo Rolls or Sub Rolls
1. Prepare charcoal grill for direct grilling at 500°F.
2. Cut the bell pepper and onion into strips and mince the garlic.
3. Place the sausages on the grill and brown on all sides about 2-3 minutes total. The sausages will not be cooked all the way here. (Just brown the outside) Set to the side.
4. Place a cast iron skillet on the grill and add olive oil. Add the peppers and onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes then add the garlic. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Cut each sausage link into 1” bites and add to the pan along with the marinara sauce and seasonings. Cook stirring frequently until everything is incorporated about 4-5 minutes.
5. To serve split the rolls and toast in the oven or on the grill. Stuff each roll with the sausage mixture and serve.
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.