Jeremiah Doughty | From Field to Plate
Take "Taco Tuesday" to a new level by changing up the protein. Ground beef is expected and fish can be a little mild, so flavor up those tortillas with delicious smoked duck! Make your own tomatillo salsa for added flavor and to impress your guests.
Smoked Duck Preparation
- 2 ducks, smoked
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1/4 soy sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 red onion minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- In shallow bowl, mix all ingredients.
- Remove spine from ducks and spatchcock. Coat each duck in marinade and lay breast side down. Marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat smoker to 180-220 degrees with a milk wood like apple, cherry or oak.
- Smoke ducks breast side up until internal temp in breast is 135-140.
- Remove from smoker and let rest.
- When cooled slice off meat and top with your favorite toppings.
- 1 lb tomatillos
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1.5 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 jalapeños, fire roasted and chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse well to get all the sticky off.
2. There are three methods for cooking:
- Grilling: cut in half and grill 5-7 minutes until skin starts to blacken
- Boiling: boil 5-8 minutes, remove and let strain and drain
- Oven roasted: cut in half and broil for 5-7 minutes until skin is blacked
3. Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until finely chopped and mixed. Don’t over mix.
4. Salt and pepper to taste, chill and serve.