Deep-fried fish is a favorite no matter where you live in North America. A crispy batter enveloping moist, delicious fish is the dream for most anglers headed home with their catch.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when making a batter—milk makes soft batter, and transparent liquid, like beer, makes a crisp batter. The temperature of the frying oil is also important to cook the fish quickly and prevent a greasy coating.
After years of experimenting with different ingredients, the ultimate crispy fish batter has been developed. Thin, crisp, a touch of spice, and great appearance add up to a new favorite. Using bamboo skewers, thread the fish on the sticks providing something to hold and slowly lower the fish into the oil. The skewer will double as an eating utensil.
The crunch is created by using equal parts of regular flour and rice flour in the batter.
- 2 lbs fish fillets, boneless & skinned
- canola oil, or peanut oil for deep frying
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cups beer
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
Cut the fish into serving-size pieces, dredge in the blend of flours, and thread onto a bamboo skewer.
Directions for Batter and Frying
- Combine the flours, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg and beer together in a small bowl, and slowly add it to the dry ingredients. Whisk while adding the liquid to reduce lumps.
- Prepare a deep fryer and bring oil to 375°F. A Camp Chef Dutch oven works excellent to fry fish, as it holds even heat.
- Dip the skewered fish into the batter, let excess batter drip off, and carefully insert them into the oil. The skewers make it easy to slowly submerge the fish and prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- Fry for three to four minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. The batter should be golden brown on all sides. Remove fish from oil and let each piece drain on a wire rack for 15 seconds.
- Serve immediately for ultimate crunch.
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.