Jeremiah Doughty | From Field to Plate
Get geared up for your football party with these wild game recipes: Wild Turkey Nuggets and Waffles, Venison Chorizo Queso Dip, and Wild Game Bacon Bombs.
Turkey Nuggets & Waffles
- 2 ¼ flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In large bowl mix all dry ingredients until fully blended.
2. Add wet ingredients and whisk. Whisk just until blended, don’t over mix.
3. Add 2 tbsp of batter to preheated waffle maker. Cook until crispy.
4. Set aside.
- 1 pound turkey breast, cubed into 1-inch squares
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp powder sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- Oil to fry
1. Place turkey nuggets in a zipper bag along with pickle juice, place bag in fridge and let marinate for at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours.
2. Remove from fridge and discard pickle juice.
3. In large bowl, add milk and eggs. Whisk until combined. Add turkey to mixture and coat.
4. Heat oil to 375 degrees.
5. Mix all dry ingredients; toss turkey into mixture and coat. Add to oil and fry 3-4 minutes until cooked and crispy.
6. Remove from oil and allow to drain.
Take your waffles and place 1-2 nuggets on each waffle, sprinkle jalapeños, bacon, and drizzle with maple syrup over top and serve. This is a great finger food for your football game.
Venison Chorizo Queso Dip
- 1 pound ground venison
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 block melted cheese (like Velveeta)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1 can rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic minced
Cilantro, red onions, tomatoes and garlic
1. In large bowl, mix your ground venison with all seasonings. Set aside for 20 minutes and allow the meat to get tacky with the seasonings.
2. In large skillet over medium heat, add your venison along with oil and brown.
3. Add your rotel tomatoes, garlic, green chilies, and cilantro. Cook 2-4 minutes until nice and bubbly.
4. Add your melting cheese, milk and chili powder, cook until cheese is melted and hot
5. Remove from heat and mix in pepper jack cheese.
6. Top with topping and serve immediately alongside chips or bread.
7. You can also do this whole thing in a slow cooker and serve it in the cooker to keep warm.
Wild Game Bacon Bombs
1 pound ground wild game
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika + 1 tbsp for sprinkle on bacon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound of bacon strips cut in half
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
1. Preheat grill, smoker or oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients minus the bacon and BBQ sauce. Once combined, roll into 1-inch round meatballs.
3. Wrap each meatball in bacon, and sprinkle with paprika.
4. Place on grill and brush with BBQ sauce. Cook 5-10 minutes or until bacon is crispy and meatball reads 155 degrees.
5. Remove from heat and brush with BBQ sauce again.
These are the perfect grab and go finger food, better than any popper!
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.