Jeremiah Doughty | From Field to Plate
Burgers aren't just for beef and turkey. Try this recipe with ground duck. The thai spicy duck burger adds some spice and blows your traditional burger out of the water! Your mouth is watering already.
Ingredients: Burger Patties
- 2 pounds skinless duck breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- With meat grinder, grind duck with course ground disk
- In large glass bowl, mix together all ingredients with freshly ground meat. Place in fridge 20 minutes to allow all the ingredients to gain flavor and for the meat to start to bind.
- Take meat from fridge, make 2-3 inch meatballs and between two pieces of wax paper smash the meatballs into perfect slider size patties rounding the edges as you go.
- Place back in fridge until ready.
Ingredients: Jalapeno & Cilantro slaw
- 2 jalapeños, sliced (seeded for less heat)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, rough chopped
- 2 cups slaw mix (green and red cabbage, carrots)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
Mix all ingredients and set aside till ready.
Ingredients: Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sriracha
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Whisk all ingredients together. If too thin, add peanut butter 1 tsp at a time. Chill in fridge until ready.
- In large cast iron skillet add 4 tablespoons of butter or duck fat, along with 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil. Heat until butter is frothy.
- Add burger patties to skillet, careful not to splash. Carefully spoon over butter/oil mixture basting the patties as they cook. (This will help keep the patties from falling apart on the flip.) Cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip burgers and baste as it cooks additional 5 minutes. Remove and let rest as you assemble the following: bun, peanut sauce, patty, slaw, peanut sauce, bun.
- Serve and enjoy.