Stacy Harris | gameandgarden.com
Our family celebrates the first turkey harvested each year with a family grill out. At that time, the weather is beginning to get warmer, but it is still cool enough to enjoy the outdoors. Here in Alabama, there only seems to be a few weeks of spring before out and out summer hits. These are some of my favorite days of the year.
I find that turkey thighs from a wild turkey are the best cut of meat for this recipe. Ordinarily, turkey thighs can be quite challenging to prepare. The thighs are pretty much all muscle and connective tissue due to the fact that wild turkeys are foragers always actively looking for food. The depth of flavor extracted from the thighs just can't be matched. That is what makes these burgers so great.
Served with chipotle sauce, these burgers are truly addictive. To make the Chipotle Dipping Sauce, place 1 jalapeño on a super hot skillet and roast until all the sides are charred. Remove the skin and seeds from the jalapeño and place in a food processor. Add one cup of mayonnaise, the juice of one lemon, and a dash of salt to the food processor and blend until smooth. Sometimes I like to prepare sweet potato fries to go with this fantastic burger. This Chipotle Dipping Sauce is a great compliment with the fires as well as the burger.
If you have leftover patties or make a few extra, they are great for breakfast with fried eggs and grits. You can also freeze the patties. They will last for about three to six months in the freezer.
- 1 pound ground turkey thighs
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 ounces ground thick-cut bacon
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Be careful not to overwork the turkey mixture.
- Prepare quarter-pound round balls and flatten to 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on a griddle or grill on medium high heat. Cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side until cooked through and caramelized on each side. Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite toppings and condiments. In my opinion, Chipotle Dipping Sauce can't be beat!
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.