Mossy Oak's Daniel Haas has perfected the smash burger. He's made it plenty of times for us folks around camp, and we can say with confidence that it's unbelievably great. He makes it with venison and elk, but any ground meat would do fine.
Here's his iconic camp recipe:
Daniel's Venison Smash Burgers
- Wild Game Burger Meat
- Chopped Onion
- Cheese Slices
- Salt and Pepper
- Other Toppings of Your Choice
1. Form your meat into 3-inch diameter balls.
2. Heat up the griddle or grill with a cast iron skillet to medium-high.
3. Squirt mayo onto the hot griddle and immediately place the balls onto the mayo. If you don't want to do mayo, any type of fat or oil will be fine.
4. Let each side of the ball sear for a moment.
5. Drop the chopped onion on top of each ball and smash hard with a round, flat tool until it's a thin, flat patty.
6. Let the burgers cook for about two minutes. Add salt and pepper to each patty while still cooking on the grill.
6. Flip once more and then put the cheese slices on. Let cook for one more minute.
7. While the burger is finishing cooking, toast your buns on a low heat burner with a little butter.
8. Place the patty straight onto the bun once the minute is up. Feel free to make each burger a double.
9. Enjoy your smash burger!