Combining wild boar bacon into a batch of home-baked beans will leave you wanting to put another pig in the freezer. This is an easy recipe to prepare, and a large batch will allow you to freeze portions for future use.
The pineapple, molasses, and maple syrup make these beans sweet and flavorful.
If you harvest a wild boar or feral hog, make sure to cut the bacon off the ribs. Use Hi Mountain Original Bacon Cure to prepare and smoke the bacon at home or purchase wild boar bacon from GameKeeper Butchery.
- 1 ½ lbs wild boar bacon
- 48 oz can tomato juice, divided in half
- 2 lbs white navy beans, dried
- 2, 14-oz cans crushed pineapple
- 2, 14-oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup dark maple syrup
1. Slice boar bacon into 1/2-inch cubes.
2. Rinse beans in a colander under cold water.
3. Add the beans, boar, half the tomato juice, pineapple, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, and spices into an Instant Pot and mix well. Pressure cook on high pressure for 50 minutes.
4. Carefully vent the Instant Pot, open the lid, and add the remaining tomato juice along with the molasses and maple syrup. Stir well. Replace the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for another 15 minutes.
Chef’s Tip: if the sugary molasses and maple syrup are added in the first part of the cooking process, the Instant Pot is more likely to produce a “burn error.”
Check out another recipe using wild boar. These pork belly burnt ends are mouth-watering.
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.