Using wild game in your normal everyday dishes elevates everything to a different level; plus, you know exactly where the bacon you're eating came from. Here's a simple wild hog recipe that will make everyone in your household happy.
Tomato Bisque Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion; Diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery; Diced
- 1/2 Cup Carrot; Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic; Diced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 28 Oz San Marzano Tomatos; Crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne
- 3 Tbsp White Rice
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Sugar; To Taste
- Salt; To Taste
- Pepper; To Taste
Wild Boar Grill Cheese Ingredients
- 1 Loaf of Sourdough; Sliced
- Mild Cheddar Cheese; Sliced
- Gamekeeper Butchery Wild Boar Bacon Slab; Sliced
1. Begin by sautéing your onion, celery, and carrots for 7-8 minutes in olive oil until the onions become soft and translucent.
2. Once your vegetables become tender, add in your garlic and tomato paste and mix them in with the vegetables for ~1-2 minutes. Make sure all the vegetables are properly coated with tomato paste and do not let your garlic brown.
3. Next, add in your chicken stock and crushed tomatoes to the pot and bring the soup to a boil.4. Once the soup is boiling, bring the heat down to a simmer and add in your rice, paprika, and cayenne.
4. Once the soup is boiling, bring the heat down to a simmer and add in your rice, paprika, and cayenne.
5. Let the soup simmer for ~30-40 minutes until your vegetables are as soft as possible and the rice is fully cooked. You will notice that your soup will thicken progressively through this cooking time.
6. As your soup is cooking, thinly slice your bacon slab and cook the bacon until golden brown and crispy.
7. Save your bacon grease in a separate dish, and then build your grill cheeses how ever you would like! I did a layer of bacon between two layers of cheddar cheese and then butter both sides of your sourdough bread.
8. Now back to the bisque, Once the soup is fully cooked, pour your soup into a blender or use an emulsifier and blend the soup until it reaches a silky consistency.
9. Add the soup back into the pot and then add in your heavy cream and sugar and thoroughly mix it into the soup. The amount of sugar you add in can be less or more than the recommended 1-2 tbsp depending on how sweet you would like your bisque.
10. Finally, cook your grill cheeses with a little bacon grease and then serve them with a hot bowl of bisque garnished with basil and enjoy!