Quail is the delicacy of game birds, and that’s no secret. Try a new recipe and give it that Louisiana twist it always needed.
Malcom Reed is a serious pit master. While being a student of the ‘Cue, he runs a business called How To BBQ Right with his wife. His business includes a successful Facebook page and website,Youtube account, and a podcast.
Follow along for more Malcom Reed recipes. Trust us, you won’t want to miss these mouth-watering delicacies—using all wild game, of course!
Pecan Smoked Cajun Quail
- 4-5 whole quail
- 1 Tablespoon Peanut Oil
- 1 lb ground wild boar
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons Malcom’s King Craw cajun seasoning
- 3 1/2 cups Beef Broth
1. Add wild boar to a pan over medium heat and brown. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and sauce for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are soft. Season with 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning.
2. Add rice and beef broth to pan, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook covered for 20 minutes or until rice is soft and has absorbed all of the moisture.
3. Prepare Smoker for indirect cooking at 300°F using pecan wood for smoke flavor
4. Stuff rice mixture into cavity of each quail. Dry the skin well with paper towel and coat with peanut oil. Season each quail with remaining cajun seasoning.
5. Place on smoker and cook until internal temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of breast.
6. Serve over remaining dirty rice
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.