Jeremiah Doughty | From Field To Plate
When I think of the holidays, I think of sitting around the table with friends and family. Some of my favorite holiday memories are surround by food, or time spent in the kitchen. I have some favorite holiday dishes that are sure to please even the pickiest of the family members this season. We enjoy dishes from a delicious wild turkey recipe with a beautiful blackberry orange glaze, to a savory cornbread and sage stuffing. Make sure you don’t forget everyone’s favorite drunken apple pie, layered with the warm taste of bourbon.
So grab your apron and enjoy a taste of the holidays.
- 2 premade pie crust
- (Or use your favorite pie crust recipe)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6-8 apples, mix of your favorite
- ½ lemon juiced and zested
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1.5 oz Bourbon or Whiskey
- 1 tbsp Bourbon
- ¼-1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Cut and core your apples; you can peel your apples if you like.
2. As you cut your apples, place in a bowl with lemon juice, toss often to help from browning.
3. Add your bourbon and apples to a deep pan or Dutch oven, over medium heat, cover and let apples cook 5 minutes. This will allow the apples to soften and juices release. Simmer until liquid reduces by half.
4. Add remaining pie filling ingredients and make sure apples are well covered in seasoning.
5. Set aside to cool.
6. Roll out your pie crust and place in 8-9” round pie baking dish, fill with apple pie filling, place your top crust on. You can do a lattice or full top. Just make sure you cut a vent.
7. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar.
8. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower heat and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes until crust is browned and filling is bubbly. Set pie aside to cool.
9. In bowl, mix bourbon with ¼ cup powder sugar, whisk until smooth. Add more powder sugar is needed until you get a consistency like glue.
10. Fill a piping bag and drizzle over finished pie. Serve with ice cream or just enjoy.
Need wild game meat for a recipe you've been wanting to try? Check out GameKeeper Butchery. GameKeeper Butchery is dedicated to procuring the finest assortment and highest quality of specialty meats from the United States and around the world. Our commitment is to deliver the safest, freshest and most wholesome products.