Jeremiah Doughty | From Field to Plate
Once you get the basics down, this recipe is all about freedom. Get your warm, tasty fry bread ready and add your favorite taco ingredients. Or, use your fry bread for dessert.
Ingredients: Fry Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups lard, fat or vegetable oil for frying
Directions: Fry Bread
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to large glass bowl, whisk together.
- Slowly add buttermilk, stirring slowly with a fork.
- Drizzle ½ cup warm water, adding more if needed.
- Stop mixing just when it comes together; do not over-mix, otherwise your fry bread will be very dense and firm.
- Let bread rest on the counter covered with dish towel for 30 minutes.
- Heat lard/fat/oil in a deep kettle or skillet.
- Grab a ball of dough and place on floured work surface.
- Using your finger, slowly press the ball out flatly, slightly stretching as you press.
- Taking one fry bread at a time, slowly add to the oil, frying 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towel, repeat until all bread is fried.
You’ll want to serve the fry bread hot, so while your bread dough is in the rest portion of the recipe, start working on your meat and toppings.
Start out by browning your favorite wild game meat followed by this easy and delicious taco seasoning recipe.
Ingredients: Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- (If you need or want a little more kick add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper)
- Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container, if not using right away.
- Use 2 tablespoons of seasoning per 1 pound of meat.
- Brown meat and sprinkle seasoning over meat. Add 1/3 cup of water and mix.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the water is cooked off.
At this point you can start making your fry bread.
Now comes the point in the recipe that’s all about you. Using your imagination, start building and adding all your favorite taco toppings and enjoy.
This Fry Bread recipe can be used for amazing desserts by adding fresh fruit or peanut butter. Last night, we added fresh cut strawberries and whip cream of as our take on strawberry shortcake.
Have fun and remember if you cook it, they will eat.